Automated Meter Reading
What are Automated Meter Readings (AMR)?
- AMR is a proven technology that allows for consistent and accurate collection of meter readings using wireless communication.
- WIN Energy uses powerline carrier technology to collect meter readings from the meters.
- Each meter has a transmitter installed inside which sends a signal back to the office over the powerlines.
- Installation of automated meters began in 2004 and was completed by February 2008. All residential and small commercial meters served by WIN Energy have been read remotely since that time.
What are the benefits of AMR?
- AMR meters eliminate the need for a meter reader to manually obtain meter readings, allowing for enhanced customer convenience and accurate data collection.
- AMR has reduced the need to estimate bills and re-read meters.
- The AMR meters have the ability to collect readings on an hourly basis which is useful in helping members pinpoint the causes of high bills.
- The AMR meters also record the number of blinks occurring on the line, detect meter tampering and aid in locating power outages which improves response time in dispatching outages.
- This technology offers members increased privacy and convenience by eliminating the need for a meter reader to enter your property each month.
What are the risks of AMR?
- There are times that we are unable to get the automated reading from a meter usually due to a power outage or equipment change outs. During these periods members may receive estimated billing statements if WIN Energy personnel are unable to read the meter manually.
- The information that is transmitted over the powerlines is simply a meter number and the hourly usage so there is not a risk that unauthorized persons could intercept personal information from your account.
- The meters with endpoints that we install have been approved by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and do not emit any contamination that would be harmful to the homeowner's health or the environment.